Tuesday, 4 December 2012

The Team

As promised I'll now take you through the background of each member of the team, explaining how we got to where we are today. 

I'll start off with myself...

Illusive



My entry into the world of production commenced when I enrolled on a Music Technology course at my local college five years ago. Back then my efforts where concentrated on attempting to make Drum & Bass and it wasn't until about a year later that I discovered Dubstep. Gradually my interests shifted and I am now primarily focused on creating Dubstep towards the deeper, darker end of the spectrum, occasionally foraying into other styles and genres.  

I got into DJing about six months after I started producing, originally a vinyl only DJ I amassed a rather impressive collection of tunes before the shift to CD's and digital formats. In the years that I've been DJing I've been lucky enough to support many of the key players within the scene at events across the south coast. I would say because of this I've developed a fairly unique yet diverse style, often combining the deeper sounds with more tear-out material when behind the decks.

I have recently set up my own record label, Instigate Recordings which was started with the aim of putting out underground dance floor orientated Dubstep with a strong focus on atmosphere and depth.




Inquest




Inquest has been producing for a relatively short time but since then has come a very long way. Starting in 2011 he has amassed a large number of productions ranging from progressive house to dark, ambient Dubstep.

Djing for around three years, Inquest has pretty much mastered the art of the smooth mix and blend, playing at a variety of local venues.

Originally starting off on trance music, his tastes and musical orientation drifted towards the deeper and darker side of things until he eventually got into Dubstep aged about 16. Since then he hasn't looked back. Currently his main influences come from the likes of Sleeper, Thelem, Biome and Nanobyte.



Step-A-Side



Step-A-Side, a producer and DJ of six years, was raised on a diet of Garage, Drum & Bass and Grime before eventually winding up on Dubstep. He has a very similar background to myself as we both attended the same college and then went on to do the same University course. 

Now a resident at a number of local bass music nights, Step-A-Side has carved himself out the niche of being one of the few DJ's of Southampton pushing the deeper, more minimal sounds. Not content with just Dubstep these days, he's begun to branch out into deep tech house, having secured himself sets under the alias "Tomo", he proves that despite his passion for deep Dubstep he is not one to be pinned down to just one genre.

Step-A-Side not only has experience DJing and producing, he also helps with the promotion of a lot of local nights making him a familiar face in the local scene. He is influenced by artists like Benton, Author (Jack Sparrow & Ruckspin), Anex, Catacombs, Submotion Orchestra and Kryptic Minds. You can expect to hear tunes from these names in many of his mixes and sets.

As well as all of this, Step-A-Side is the founder of the live feed internet radio station Prolific Radio which has done a great job of supporting and showcasing the local talent of Southampton.


   
Alpha Labs



Alpha Labs has had somewhat of a different musical upbringing from the rest of us. Having played drums in a metal band for seven years he understandably has gone down a fairly different route to get to where he is today.

He first got into production five years ago in order to record demos for his band. It wasn't long until he was fiddling around with synths, his sound being shaped by the Drum & Bass he was listening to at the time from artists like Pendulum and Noisia.

One of the more notable moments in his flourishing production career has to be securing a release for his remix of The Ting Tings - "Hang It Up" on none other than Sony Music. Undoubtably a sign of big things to come from this incredibly talented producer.

He cites the likes of Noisia, Subfocus, Metrik, MRSA and Chasing Shadows as some his biggest musical influences in the realms of electronic music. Despite being fairly new to the world of DJing, he definitely shows promise behind the decks and will be showcasing his new skills at Mainframe Audio events in 2013.



Now that we've been introduced we can get on with posting some actual music, watch out for posts about the monthly Mainframe Audio podcast series and weekly mixes.



-Illusive

No comments:

Post a Comment